Sunday, November 16, 2008

Sunday night

It's 9:45 pm. I am semi-caught up on the NaNoWriMo world. 22,000 plus words. Sadly, I can't remember the exact number and I'm too whipped to go look it up again. Actually, I think it's 23,000 yeh, yeh, that's it. I want to get to 30,000 words by Wednesday. That was the suggested number by the little pep talk email sent 'round by Chris Bay, the organizer of NaNoWriMo.

Since I'm too lazy to do the actual math, I'm just accepting that 30,000 is key. The good news is that I have at least got my main character out of the Santa Fe hospital. She has no choice now but to be laid up and write her book. She has a broken leg that she can't put any weight on and a wonderful benefactor who has provided a nurse and her own New Mexican casita. Talk about projecting one's own fantasies...well, except for the nurse and the broken leg part. But I do love New Mexico....

I seem to have slid into quite a lot of deadlines and writing projects over this next week. The trick will be if I can move my neck at all by the time this is all over. I do have the name of a great physiotherapist that can do miracles in 30 minutes. I'm sure this neck and shoulders can provide a great challenge for her. Laptops, crappy seating arrangements and ridiculous word count goals are starting to add up. Saturday morning yoga is not enough to undo the week of abuse it seems.

I think ibuprofen is one of the world's wonders. I plan on getting a couple of those mommy's little helpers and propping myself into bed with the wonderful Tell It Slant book. I'm slowly working my way through it, between my other books.

The veal shanks are thawing while I sit here and by tomorrow morning Kevin will be prepping them for our dinner of shanks and lentils tomorrow night. I'm guessing Mr. Wine Geek has already figured out the appropriate red for the occasion.

It's a calm and crisp night outside the deck. The Molson brewery digital sign scrolling across on its forever spin. Can't quite read it, though I probably could if I got off the sofa and stood on the deck. But why?

Instead, I will sign off. Give my fingers a break. I'm looking forward to the week. I was asked on Friday to do the Shop with a Chef column and will be checking out the chef of Lolita's and their other Mexican eatery on Commercial Drive called Julio and me...or something like that. Since Mexico is one of my favourite places on the planet, I'm quite looking forward to the assignment.

Adios, Muchachos.

No comments: