Sunday, November 9, 2008

NaNoWriMo

Oh my. I'm feeling rather daunted by this NaNoWriMo thing. I'm at 11,472 words and I need to hit 15,003 tonight to be on goal for the 50,000 word finish at the end of the month.

I have lots of reasons why I really don't have time for this. And truly? I don't have time for this. I should be doing the two assignments that are do by November 20th. I should read my book, Three Cups of Tea, for our November 15th book club and I should be working on my memoir.

And what do I chose to do? Write a totally crap novel where the damned characters can't seem to get themselves out of a Santa Fe coffeshop, called...wait for it.
Espressorito.

Uh Huh. It seems a gay couple got together, one a swarthy, thickset Mexican named Juan (who also happens to make kickass Mexican food) and his lover Gianni who is a barista extraordinare and a pastry chef. Naturally, they open an espresso bar, Mexican eatery and saddlery. Forgot to mention that Juan is a true cowboy and leather worker. Of course. And they aren't even the main characters.

I must say that one of the reasons the woman Colette and her new friend David can't leave the place is because it's the perfect coffee shop/cafe that I would never leave either. Juan and Gianni post questions on the bulletin board and in the Santa Fe Herald asking people to come discuss them every Saturday afternoon. People of every background come out of the woodwork so that you have blue-haired pierced-up punks with purple hair discussing this stuff with soccer moms. What's not to love? So, it is a salon pondering existential questions. You can see why I can't get them to leave.

Apparently, this blog is also a way to avoid getting to my goal. Onward. Etc.

No comments: