Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Good Movies

Well, I'm a little short on the NaNoWriMo goal tonight but my excuse is that I was at the TMAC event at L'Hermitage. It was all about the importance of an on-line presence. And there was great snacks and fun conversations and wine. Yes. Lovely Syrah.

Margaret Deefholts thanked me for recommending the amazing movie, Edge of Heaven. It is a Turkish/German film that Kevin and I watched at Tinseltown. It's out on DVD and I still think it's one of the best films I saw in 2008. I want to rent it and watch it again. Amazing scenes, tight script with strange twists and turns in time and overlapping motives between mothers and daughters, and a son and his father.

On the subject of movies, the other really great show I saw a few months ago was The Visitor. It was so rife with social commentary without being overt and obnoxious with it. And it was hopeful in a very poignant way.

Alas, the same can not be said for the rather trite piece we watched on this very laptop last night. Can't even recall the name, it was so forgettable. A shame as it had Helen Hunt which is usually a good thing. But Bette Midler who was supposed to be her long-lost mother ended up looking weirdly younger than Helen because Bette's face is so bee-stung with Botox that she has absolutely no expressions and tight doll-like skin. I spent more time, trying to see if her face had any elastic in at all, than listening to what she had to say. Rather surreal...

No comments: