Thursday, December 27, 2007

The Inevitable Resolutions

I think this whole season of binging and darkness and consumerist frenzied overindulgence is the perfect set up to start fresh in the New Year. It's brilliant actually.

My friend Mary had a recipe for the flu or feeling blue: if you're feeling crappy, just make yourself watch daytime TV, and when you're really sick of the couch, make yourself watch it for four more hours. By then you won't be able to stand another minute and you'll get over whatever it was.

This seasonal extravaganza falls in the same category. Eat one more piece of fudge, stuff in some shortbread, slop down some Bailey's, put on your fat pants and by New Year's Eve you'll be so ready to stop, that you will. Hence all those January over-enthusiastic gym-goers and instant marathoners.

The key is baby-steps. My tendency is to go from 0 to 60 mph. But it really is better to start small. And that is my plan...instead of thinking I have to paint the entire inside of the house at once, I will do one or two hours a day.

And. I won't be doing any of it until we're back from our train trip to Montreal. Hmmm...which means I'll be overindulging for another two weeks. Forgot about that. Oh well.

My New Year's resolutions will begin when we return on Jan 16th. Wow. I'm really going to be ready by then.

No comments: