Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Ephemera - Altered Books

It's 9:52 pm. Just finished rearranging my little office again. Seems it's the only way I ever actually clean it is to throw everything into the bedroom and then slowly reintroduce it back in, piece by piece. I had this compulsion for several reasons, first, because that's just what I do. I need to shake things up and can't stand anything to stay the same too long. Second, I'm avoiding the article about Malawi that I need to write. A more gracious explanation could be that I'm incubating ideas...yeh, that's it. Third, I'm onto this altered book thing. I love collages. Love them. And have seen altered books at various points over the last couple years, but somehow it just really hit me the other day, that I really, really had to get going on this. So, of course, the office space must be reconfigured to add this new area for exactly that. Tomorrow, I start. Gluing, cutting, pasting, collecting little bits of maps, tissue, cards, words, ephemera as they say in the collage and altered book world...ephemera...things of no lasting significance. Ephemeral - that which is fleeting, that which lasts a very short time.

No comments: